Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries, and growing – we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Principal Engineer supports the successful operation of facility, laboratory and business functions at multi‐ use sites through interaction with internal customers and external service providers. The incumbent in this role, applies expert knowledge and experience to design projects, goals and initiatives that result in new areas of opportunity and contribute to the strategic direction of the company. In addition to taking ownership of large projects, this recognized subject matter expert serves as a consultant on multi‐site, global projects. This individual independently develops and leads technical training programs and projects which contribute to the application of newly developed concepts and elicit innovative work. As a key functional advisor, the incumbent works with senior management to align the function with the overall strategic direction of the company. The incumbent applies leading edge technology and knowledge to provide expert guidance to multi‐ disciplinary teams. This individual leverages constructive relationships across the organization to achieve goals on multi‐disciplinary and cross‐functional teams, and influences teams and stakeholders with fact‐based, business value knowledge.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement and proactive approaches to EHS.
- Promote a culture of commitment to EHS by integrating with and directly supporting the needs of the business
- Drive leading indicator safety programs.
- Improve the quality of EHS management processes following established regulations, policies, standards, and programs.
- Manage incident investigation programs, develop and identify trends, and develop programs for improving performance.
- Minimizing risk to Celgene by instituting strong engineering containment principles in area design.
- Develop, implement and maintain workflows/processes for the key EHS systems.
- Evaluate and monitor key EHS Metrics and issues and provide gap analysis to manage environmental, health and safety matters to ensure that Celgene meets or exceeds legislative, corporate and industry requirements, as well as best practice standards.
- Support the implementation of Corporate EHS Directives
- Create proactive approach to EHS through cross functional co-operation, communications and training.
- Identify corrective actions arising from inspections and/ or audits to bring the Corporation into compliance with applicable codes, laws, regulations and standards and explain these measures to others.
- Proven track record and hands on practical experience of Instituting strong industrial hygiene principles to ensure maximum employee protection
- Participate in educational meetings to instruct employees in matters pertaining to occupational health and safety.
- Schedule and participate a variety of safety inspections in the workplace and effectively communicate the findings.
- Provide technical expertise to the business applying strong process safety principles.
- Conduct Risk and Job Hazard Analyses pertaining to physical, chemical, ergonomics and other hazards, and develop solutions to mitigate or control them.
- Experience in supporting biologics operations from an EHS perspective beneficial
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to manage internal and external projects from inception to successful implementation
- Ideal candidate will have direct experience in providing EHS support at laboratory, kilo and pilot plant scale.
- Good understanding of project/systems development process, including requirement gathering, analysis/design, development tools/technologies, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management
- Skilled in conceptualizing creative solutions, as well as documenting them and presenting/selling them to senior management
- Strong analysis, design, and implementation experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at all levels as appropriate for the needs of the audience; expertise in setting and managing customer expectations
- Broad-based experience in implementing technology solutions and working with vendors
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence
- Strong customer focus and ability to manage client expectations.
- Ability to communicate needs and schedules to EHS as well as ensure that plans are in place and standards are adhered to
- Solid project management skills with ability to multitask and manage multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to present and explain system information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others, and gains understanding
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills at all management levels
- Use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problem solving.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures and strategies to promote effective local, state or federal environmental health and safety operations for the protection of people, property and the environment.
- Exceptional leadership skills that encourages empowerment and ownership within the team and organization. Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor junior engineers as well as delegate tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently with no supervision
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite ‐ Word, Excel and Outlook, and the innate ability to learn new software as required.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree with major course work in chemistry, biological sciences, mathematics, physics, environmental health and safety, occupational health or industrial hygiene OR degree in other related fields that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours of study from among the following (or closely related) disciplines: environmental studies, safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene, physics, chemistry, biological sciences, and engineering.
- Masters degree a plus with major course work in safety, occupational health, industrial hygiene, environmental health and safety, human factors, accident investigation, occupational medicine, toxicology, public health, engineering, industrial psychology.
- 10+ years of equivalent specialized experience in or related to environmental, safety and occupational health that provided the specific knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position.
- Must be either CIH and/ or CSP
- Must have worked in a GMP environment in either a pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical or medical device industry.
Physical / Mental Demands:
- Occasional stooping, bending, stretching, pushing, pulling, reaching and/or lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk and move within workspace for extended periods
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks including hard to finger manipulations, grasping, pushing and pulling
- Ability to climb ladders and work in elevated areas
- Minimal travel in North America
- Environment may include working in office or in a laboratory / manufacturing area.
- Ability to work safely in an environment with hazardous, radioactive and infectious materials and waste.
- Ability to work safely in an environment with exposure to high temperature / pressure steam and other fluids, compressed gases, odors, various noise levels, moving parts, vibration, wet / slippery areas and high voltage energy supplies
- Environment may including working at heights, in cold temperatures and or constricted spaces
- Ability to work safely when working alone or working with others
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.