Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Health & Safety Specialist III for the department of Environmental, Health & Safety. This position is principally responsible for performing routine technical services and activities, preliminary investigations, visual inspections and records maintenance to assure that only sanctioned activities are carried out and that those activities are performed:
- in accordance with Federal, State & local requirements and University policies/procedures;
- without adverse health effects on faculty, staff, students, visitors and community;
- in a manner that will protect the environment; and
- so that the University’s resources are conserved and future liability is limited
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Inspects and assesses health/safety hazards.
- Communicates University policy and procedures.
- Responds to emergencies and requests for assessments and investigations.
- Oversees all activities or services affecting health/safety in the geographical area of responsibility.
- Brings to attention of the manager, circumstances that could develop into widespread internal or external health/safety issues.
Education and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in physical, chemical or life sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Also requires two years of relevant professional experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The ability and willingness to pursue graduate education and/or training toward certification in health/safety profession.
- Must have the maturity and judgment to represent the department in interactions with the university community and to seek help from supervisor when needed.
- Also requires excellent computer, interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills.
- Must able to lift up to 50 pounds, have a valid driver’s license, pass a physical examination, and be able to wear a respirator.